What are the unwanted side effects?
- Redness, swelling, or ache the place the shot was given
coronary heart icon
Put together on your kid’s vaccine go to and study how one can:
- Analysis vaccines and prepared your youngster earlier than the go to
- Consolation your youngster in the course of the appointment
- Care on your youngster after the shot
Earlier than, Throughout, and After Pictures
Polio, or poliomyelitis, is a disabling and life-threatening illness attributable to the poliovirus. The virus can infect an individual’s spinal twine, inflicting paralysis (can’t transfer components of the physique). Paralysis attributable to poliovirus happens when the virus replicates in and assaults the nervous system. The paralysis will be lifelong, and it may be lethal.
It most frequently sickens kids youthful than 5 years previous.
What are the signs of polio an infection?
Most individuals who get contaminated with poliovirus don’t have any signs. Some folks (25 folks out of 100) could have flu-like signs. These signs often final 2 to five days.
In uncommon instances, poliovirus an infection will be very severe. About 1 out of 200 folks could have weak spot or paralysis of their arms, legs, or each. This paralysis or weak spot can final a lifetime.
Is it severe?
The chance of lifelong paralysis may be very severe. Even kids who appear to completely get well can develop new muscle ache, weak spot, or paralysis as adults, 15 to 40 years later.
About 2 to 10 kids out of 100 who’ve paralysis from polio die as a result of the virus impacts the muscle tissues that assist them breathe.
How does polio unfold?
Poliovirus is very contagious. It spreads via contact with:
- the stool (poop) of an contaminated individual.
- droplets from a sneeze or cough of an contaminated individual.
If you happen to get stool or droplets from an contaminated individual in your arms and also you contact your mouth, you may get contaminated. Additionally, in case your youngster places objects, like toys, which have stool or droplets on them into their mouth, they will get contaminated.
An contaminated individual might unfold the virus to others instantly earlier than and as much as 2 weeks after signs seem.
- The virus might dwell in an contaminated individual’s stool for a lot of weeks. She or he can contaminate meals and water after they contact it with unwashed arms.
- Individuals who don’t have signs can nonetheless cross the virus to others and make them sick.
Do folks nonetheless get polio in america?
No, due to a profitable vaccination program, america has been polio-free for greater than 30 years, however the illness nonetheless happens in different components of the world. It could solely take one individual with polio touring from one other nation to deliver polio again to america.