Leukemia is a time period for cancers of the blood cells. Leukemia begins in blood-forming tissues such because the bone marrow. Your bone marrow makes the cells which can turn into white blood cells, purple blood cells, and platelets. Every kind of cell has a distinct job:
- White blood cells assist your physique combat an infection
- Purple blood cells ship oxygen out of your lungs to your tissues and organs
- Platelets assist type clots to cease bleeding
When you’ve got leukemia, your bone marrow makes massive numbers of irregular cells. This drawback most frequently occurs with white blood cells. These irregular cells construct up in your bone marrow and blood. They crowd out the wholesome blood cells and make it arduous to your cells and blood to do their work.
What are the forms of leukemia in kids?
There are several types of leukemia. Some varieties are acute (quick rising). They often worsen rapidly if they aren’t handled. Most childhood leukemias are acute:
- Acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL), which is the most typical kind of leukemia in kids and the most typical most cancers in kids. In ALL, the bone marrow makes too many lymphocytes, a kind of white blood cell.
- Acute myeloid leukemia (AML), which occurs when bone marrow makes irregular myeloblasts (a kind of white blood cell), purple blood cells, or platelets.
Different forms of leukemia are continual (sluggish rising). They often worsen over an extended time frame. They’re uncommon in kids:
- Persistent lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), wherein the bone marrow makes irregular lymphocytes (a kind of white blood cell). It’s extra frequent in teenagers than kids.
- Persistent myeloid leukemia (CML), wherein the bone marrow makes irregular granulocytes (a kind of white blood cell). It is vitally uncommon in kids.
There are another uncommon forms of