What it is advisable know
- Though the general threat of extreme sickness is low, pregnant persons are at an elevated threat for extreme sickness from COVID-19 when in comparison with non-pregnant folks 1.
- Having sure underlying medical circumstances, and different components, resembling age or occupation, can additional enhance a pregnant particular person’s threat for creating extreme sickness.
- Pregnant folks with COVID-19 may also be at elevated threat for different poor outcomes, resembling preterm delivery (delivering the infant sooner than 37 weeks).
- Pregnant folks and individuals who dwell with or go to them have to take steps to guard themselves from getting sick with COVID-19.
Extreme sickness signifies that an individual with COVID-19 could require:
- intensive care,
- a ventilator or particular tools to assist them breathe
Individuals with COVID-19 who change into severely in poor health could even die.
Sure Elements Can Improve Threat
Different components can additional enhance a pregnant particular person’s threat for experiencing extreme sickness from COVID-19, resembling having sure underlying medical circumstances or being older than a sure age 2. Individuals with an underlying medical situation ought to proceed to comply with the remedy plan prescribed by their healthcare supplier.
Situations within the locations the place pregnant folks dwell, study, work, play, and worship additionally have an effect on well being dangers and outcomes, resembling getting sick with COVID-19 or creating extreme sickness. For instance, people who find themselves pregnant and work in locations the place they can’t preserve their distance from individuals who could also be sick, like healthcare suppliers, are at elevated threat for getting sick and creating extreme sickness